Monday, July 28, 2008

A Weekend with David






This weekend Steve, Sarah and I went to Ft. Benning to visit David!  It was an 8 hour trip but so worth the effort and time...we were able to talk so much. We laughed alot, played some, shopped some, enjoyed eating together...It was a happy weekend. I don't ever take those for granted.
My DS still loves bicycles! On Saturday, after the guys gave me and Sarah a little while to do some serious dress shopping, we went downtown Columbus and found a great
bicycle shop that, as you can see, had enough 
in it to keep us interested! First we did some window shopping and then perused the sidewalk display. They had a great Belgium (correct me if I'm wrong, David) type bike that was absolutely awesome! I fell in love with it. The brand is Electra and it's a huge, vintage bike with a beautiful  leather seat and handlebar grips. It had full fenders, chain guard and even mud flaps! Beaut
iful!! It reminded me so much of the big ol' bike I 
learned to
 ride on. The handle bars were even wide enough for someone to sit on!


My family has heard me say many times that one of my greatest joys at this point in my life is to go to Bald Head where I can ride my old bike to the market or wherever I want to go! It is my favorite mode of transportation and in a perfect, safe world, I'd ride one to the market in Southern Pines. I'm beginning to wonder if the cost of gas and our growing "green" awareness will soon make it a little easier
 for me to do this!  I'm hoping!
David enjoyed playing on the bikes at this shop tremendously!
 He hadn't been on a bike since April and
 for a boy who loves bikes the way he does, that's a loooong time! In the photo of him on the bike by
 himself, he is just sitting there without rolling (much) or a "kick-stand" using only his
balance. It's a pretty cool trick....a "track stand" I think it is called.  I think you can tell that he was pretty happy just getting to sit on one for a few minutes! 
He and Sarah
 also enjoyed playing around on the big tandem bike! 


Later that night we went to a good little restau
rant named Meritage.  We had a great meal and someone volunteered to take our picture! Again....just a good, peaceful evening. I can't say it enough....it was such a gift to be together as a family for a little while.
We didn't leave Columbus on Sunday until 4:00!  It was hard to say good-bye....as always. But it's hard to be too sad after such a good visit. Only six more weeks of OCS David!!  
You're almost 
there!! And did I tell you enough t
hat we're really proud of you?